Remember To Be Thankful
- Reduce Stress
- November 18, 2014
This is the time of year to remember all that we are thankful for, especially our family, friends, health, and fortune. We try to appreciate those things in small ways throughout the year, but it is important to pause for a moment and show true gratitude. It’s not always easy to know how to show your appreciation for the important people in your life. Here are some ways to show that you are thankful:
- Do something for someone. Spontaneous acts of kindness will sometimes take a person off guard and make them wonder what it is you really want. Become that person who is known for showing kindness. Everybody wins.
- Acknowledge your gratitude verbally. Simply say “Thank you.” All too often, we take each other for granted without even realizing it. Sit back and think about the people in your life who make the world a better place to live. Telling them “thanks” is easy. Of all the ways to show you are thankful, this gets the biggest bang for the buck.
- Give a gift. Spontaneous gift giving is an action that may cause suspicion among the gift receivers. You need no reason to give someone a gift, other than to make that person feel good. Saying, “I appreciate you being in my life” with a gift can make you feel even better than the person receiving it. (My gift certificates are buy 1 get 1 free!)
- Be a good listener. Listening to someone is the most overlooked way to show that you care. It’s not always as easy as it seems, but simply listening is as good as giving a gift to a person who needs a good listener.
- Treasure moments. Remember, our time in this life is limited. Sit back and soak in those moments, good, bad, or indifferent. They are all moments to be cherished.
- Be Optimistic. Try to be an optimistic person all year long by appreciating people and things in your life. The feeling will become a part of you and your positive outlook can be passed along to others.